The first seeds of Gorbon Tiles were sown in the 1940s when Prof Rebii Gorbon, founder of the company, got his hands on a ceramics catalogue and began to produce objects in the kiln which he constructed in the garden of his house in Mecidiyeköy in the early 1950s. From then on, Rebii Gorbon professionally developed his deep interest in ceramics. As a result of his meticulous research and endeavour lasting years, he crowned his passion by opening his first factory in Gültepe, Levent in 1958.
In this period Turkey’s ceramics market was met with serious challenges, in particular a shortage in the production of construction materials. The few factories that were in operation could produce ceramic tiles and sinks in a limited range of colours and sizes. Importing such goods was even more complicated than domestic production due to the high exchange rates. Domestic production was of vital importance for the market that had shrunk further with the devaluation of 1958. Virtually a life line for the ceramics market at the time with its quality ceramics and professional approach, Gorbon Tiles continued its reputable business in later years and contributed greatly to the ceramics market of the country.
Predominantly producing ceramic tableware and various other objects in the first five years of its production, Gorbon Tiles began to produce ceramic tiles in 1963 with the support given by the Bank for the Development of Industry according to the needs of Turkey at the time. By closely following architectural trends, building designs and popular tendencies of the period, the company reserved itself a pioneering and leading position in the sector due to its know-how and vision. The design of many buildings in Istanbul as well as their floor and wall tiles were produced by Gorbon Tiles.
Gorbon Tiles realised the tile and architectural design of many domestic and global buildings and had the opportunity to represent Turkey in many different countries due to its understanding of and approach to quality. The quality of Gorbon Tiles can be witnessed in many places across the world such as UAE, Iraq, Germany and the UK. By widening its product range over the years, Gorbon Tiles has continued to produce quality products with diverse dimensions, and bright and distinctive colour samples.
Following the establishment of the first factory, the second Gorbon Tiles factory was opened in 1985 in Gebze. In 1990 Gorbon Tiles went public, and in 1995, the factory in Alemdağ was set up. The establishment of the last factory located in Pendik and where production still continues to this day dates back to 2005. Throughout its production of 60 years, Gorbon Tiles has developed a wide product range including tableware, single-piece ceramic objects, souvenirs and reproductions of Ottoman ceramics as well as operating in different areas such as retail. It particularly created a large market in the production of decorative wall panels. Gorbon Tiles had a total of five shops in Şişli (1972), Erenköy (1974), Mecidiyeköy (1980), Akmerkez (1993) and Nişantaşı (1996) all of which have closed down over time.
Some of the buildings that have sprung to life with Gorbon Tiles can be listed as; Atatürk Cultural Centre upon Hayati Tabanlıoğlu’s recommendation; Kenter Theatre in Şişli, branches of Halkbank all across Anatolia, Çırağan Palace Kempinski, Ünver Hospital, the ceramics of the entrance door of the Kaaba in Mecca, The Ritz Carlton in Yeniköy (Istanbul), Büyük Efes Hotel in Izmir, The Sheraton in Çeşme, Büyük Marmara Hotel in Ankara, Data Darbar Mosque (Lahore, Pakistan), Baghdad Parliament Building, Saddam Hussein Palace (Baghdad, Iraq), Sultan Said Bin Taimur Palace (Oman) and Babaji Restaurant (London, UK).
Visit the Website: www.gorbontiles.com